Wednesday 11 January 2012

Home made bending Iron

I decided to save myself a couple of hundred quid and make my own Bending Iron.

First I took a length of aluminium tubing with a 5mm wall. Cut a slot down the length of it then beat it with a large hammer until i got the desired egg shape - i.e. two different sized radii. I didnt quite expect the ally tubing to be quite so tough... it took some serious beating!!


 

I then TIG welded a cap on top of similar sized piece of ally and welded up the slit down the side (the slit was on the small radius). I then ground his down and put it on a wire wheel to make smooth.


Copying the Stewmac model I decided to add a smaller radius extension (great for the violin I plan to make). So I found a piece of  ally bar and turned it down to the desired diameter, i drilled and tapped a hole in the top of the iron and screwed the small radius extension to it. I also welded on some tabs to screw the whole thing to the plywood box I made.... sweet!

Now im just waiting for the arrival of thermometer and heating element to fit inside... then Bobs your uncle. Total price £15 in electrical parts and three lunchbreaks (about an hour and a half)... lets hope it works

No comments:

Post a Comment