Sunday 29 March 2015

more ukulele stuff

I've been watching some videos on YouTube by the wonderful classical guitar luthier Michael Thames. Showing how to make soundhole rosettes - intricate and fascinating stuff. This led me to thinking about having a go at making my own. as i couldn't find any commercially available binding that i liked i have decided to make my own as well as a simple rosette around the sound hole.
 
Started trimming some timber for the binding. Using walnut and maple veneer and some slightly thicker strips of mahogany.
 

 Here are all the pieces cut to the required thickness and length.




I was going to use me Dremmel to cut the rosette slot but saw a nice little hand made cutter on line. so i copied it... and hey! it works a treat! Its made from an offcut of sapelle and the blade is cut from an old plane iron.


here are a bunch of necks ive made ... ready for the onslaught of uke orders... er... anybody out there?


No comments:

Post a Comment